Tuesday, February 5, 2013

"Ellen Foster" Now Available in Freading

"When I was little I would think of ways to kill my daddy."  (Very first sentence in Ellen Foster.)  

Easy there kid.

Today, I was digging around Freading and I came upon Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons.  You may remember this book - it was originally released in 1987 - I was still in high school...... :)


An Oprah Book Club selection in 1997; this enchanting novel won two literary awards: The Sue Kaufman Prize for First Fiction and a citation from the Ernest Hemingway Foundation.

The novel follows the story of Ellen, the first person narrator, a young white American girl living under harsh conditions in the rural south in the 70's.

You can find it on the Featured titles list for a couple weeks in Freading.  It would be a great book club selection or summer reading selection.  


The beauty of the Freading eBook database is there is never a wait list.  If you have 20 patrons that want to download Ellen Foster at the exact same time - you are going to have 20 very happy patrons!